Open up the heavens, let Your glory fall }

Free JavaScript fromĀ 
Rainbow Arch

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

China Wine

If you guys haven't already seen the MTV or at the very least, heard the song "China Wine" sang by Ho Yeow Sun and Wyclef Jean, do a quick youtube search for it. I dun even bother putting it up on my blog cause I think "The Llama Song" beats "China Wine" anyday.

When I was searching for the lyrics, I came to this site
where someone gave a very insightful view on why is it that Singaporeans can't embrace Sun as much as we can for Stefanie Sun (my fave singer).

Below is a copy+ paste, word-for-word comment made by sword4fight from that website, not me.




The answer why this Sun is not as popular as the other Sun is very simple:

1. No matter how much hype the publicity people try to play it up, the talent level is as different as night and day.

2. Putting aside the Christianity issue, this MTV demonstrates that this person has no idea what sexism, racism, ignorance is all about:

a. The MV is sexist. It is the typical 'all men are pimps and all women whore' black rap style. Even the black comedian Bill Crosby condemned his own people for producing such videos that glorify exploitation of women. And here we have a Singaporean Chinese joining the trend; jiggling around lustily as if that is the sole purpose of a woman.

b. The MV is racist. It portrayed the typical stereo-type, Western idea and imagery of the Chinese; with the Buddhist handclasp as part of the dance move; coiffed up hairdo, the use of words like 'Geisha'.

c. This MV promotes ignorance. I think 80% of the lyrics are unintelligible. This performer calls herself 'Geisha', which is a word meaning art-prostitute. It is also a degoratory term, especially hated by the Chinese for past Japanese atrocities. This was the reason why Zhang Zhi Yi was so disliked for starring in 'Memories of a Geisha'.

The simple test is this. Ask people who have watched the video if they will want their daughters to grow up to be like that, and you will then see why Sun is not popular.

The fact that this topic attracted only 9 replies speak(s) volume. It is a non-event. I responded only because I got nothing better to do for the moment.

Labels:



8:26 PM; Joy


God's creation.

[Name] Huineng
[Age] 18+
[Location] Singapore
[Egg-born] 22 Aug

Calendar.

None at the moment

Forward.


A note, please.



About.

Texture from here, images from getty.
Using various brushes from the net ;
I II II III IV V
Ashley font from dafont. Design by kriss.